Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Stitching at Seven

A Very Short History of My Life in Sewing


Public Domain Image


Remember those troll dolls?  The ones with the fluffy, colorful, wild hair?  Well, at age seven, I was a fan of those troll dolls. However, I soon found out that the reason I liked them so much was because I could sew for them. I might have had the best dressed troll dolls around! 

Public Domain Image

Just like a quilter's stash of fabric, I had a stash of felt squares in every color imaginable. I cut out two pieces of the felt from a small pattern, and I used a whip stitch to join those two felt pieces into a one shoulder outfit for those trolls. This was my first experience sewing, and it certainly was a foreshadowing of the rest of my life's passion for fabric and sewing.

I kept sewing, and I graduated to making my own clothes as a teenager. Then, later in my life, when I had my own children, I sewed for them. Making their Halloween costumes was a favorite thing to do since it required more creativity than the average sewing project.




I made window treatments and home decor items, but it was only a few years ago that I followed a friend of mine into the world of quilting. Cutting out pieces of fabric and sewing them together in all kinds of different patterns challenges me and satisfies my need for creativity. 



What about you?  What type of creative outlet do you pursue?  Please leave a comment below and share your creative interests.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging, my friend! It gave me such pleasure to read your post and to learn about how your love of sewing and fabric began. I know what a talented and creative lady you are and I look forward to reading all of the fantastic posts that will be coming! You have inspired me to get out the sewing machine again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comments.