Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Holiday Aspiration

How do you capture the wind on the water?
How do you count all the stars in the sky?
How do you measure the love of a mother?
Or how can you write down a baby's first cry?




These are the opening lines of my favorite holiday song, Candlelight Carol. This carol, written by London composer and conductor, John Rutter, has been sung by choirs and individual singers. I first heard this song while listening to a holiday CD by my favorite singer, Neil Diamond. While the entire carol is beautiful, it was the first few lines that captured my attention and my heart. 

Each year now, I try to simplify throughout the holiday season. Trying to honor family traditions during this time of year while not getting so caught up in having all the preparations take over one's life can be challenging sometimes. The message of our culture's focus on the hustle and bustle of shopping, decorating, and preparing for a "perfect" holiday season surrounds us during the last two months of each year. 

The first lines of Candlelight Carol remind me that the most important parts of this season, and of life in general, are those things that cannot be measured. The words of the carol are also helpful to me on days when the turbulence of the world seems overwhelming. May each of us be able to focus on the mystery and the immeasurable parts of life throughout the holiday season and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Christmas carol! I have not heard this before and now want to find it to listen to. Thanks for sharing a beautiful post about enjoying the unmeasurable parts of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to listen to it, Debbie. Both the lyrics and the music are quite beautiful.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comments.